Go to footer

The English thread

Foreign-language talk || Discussion en langues différentes || Chiaccere in lingue straniere || Discusión en lenguas extranjeras

The English thread

Beitragvon admin » Do 21. Jan 2010, 13:42

Anything and everything you want to talk about in English - Superman or not, trivialities or highly philosophical theses - everything's welcome. :)
:superman:
admin

non-present presence

Administrator
Administrator

Re: The English thread

Beitragvon Kyo » Di 26. Jan 2010, 17:56

Sometimes is it strange, when you write, think and speak more in English as in your own native tongue,isn't it? :D
If something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, chances are pretty good, that is a duck!

Bild
animenmore / my.anm
deutschsprachiger Verein/Community zu Japan, Anime, Manga, J-Musik, Rollenspiel MIT Radio
Kyo

'A good horse is like a member of the family.'

Lokalreporter
Lokalreporter

Beitragvon KitKaos » Di 26. Jan 2010, 18:11

It is. Although it happens - and it feels good more often than not. ;)
Juggling several languages in your mind, though, can cause brain knotting - so be careful! :ugeek:
"I am Clark Kent. I need to be Clark. I'd go crazy if I'd have to be Superman all the time."

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted." (Albert Einstein)

"The future is there ... looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. And from where they are, the past behind us will look nothing at all like the past we imagine behind us now. ..."
-- ("Pattern Recognition", William Gibson)
KitKaos

Der verbreitetste Glaube ist das Wissen.

Mein Superman: Clark Kent

Beitragvon C_K_unlimited » Di 26. Apr 2011, 13:54

Knowing that there is at least ONE person sneaking, lurking in this forum whose native language is English, I thought I'd bring this thread back into focus.

If you don't feel comfortable writing German posts anywhere on this forum, then just write in English, we will understand it, although we also appreciate any effort of anyone to write German although it's for foreign language to him/her. ;) Don't be afraid.
Bild
C_K_unlimited

Ressortleiter
Ressortleiter

Mein Superman: fliegt

Beitragvon KitKaos » Mi 12. Okt 2011, 16:54

Let's see if we can revive this thread a little...?

Whose TV life would you like to be living and why?
(snagged from @WarnerBrosEnt)
"I am Clark Kent. I need to be Clark. I'd go crazy if I'd have to be Superman all the time."

"The future is there ... looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. And from where they are, the past behind us will look nothing at all like the past we imagine behind us now. ..."
KitKaos

Beitragvon C_K_unlimited » Fr 2. Dez 2011, 23:58

A few years ago it'd probably have been Rory Gilmore from the Gilmore Girls because I just love how she and her mother are with each other. Their easiness and friendship is unique. Also I could see quite a few things I thought I had in common with her.

Then there was a time when the answer to that question would have been Dr. Quinn. She was saving lives, had three good children and I had a huge crush on her friend/boyfriend/husband. :P

But today I don't know what the answer is.
I mean living on Dovers Run like McLeod's Daughters does look quite cool, besides it's in OZ, but looking closer their live is full of worries.
Living on the Enterprise sounds incredible, but all the replicated food, the small rooms you probably have there plus the fact that I'd probably be just a 'redshirt'... No thanks. (Yes, Dr. McCoy, space IS desease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence. Although living among the stars still sounds fascinating.) Living there as Data could be interesting though.
Living in Smallville? Only as Shelby. :P I think that dog is the only one NEVER getting amnesia and he's allowed to stay with Clark. :P

Maybe living Barney Stinson's life could be fun. I've always been curious how it is to be a man (although I usually love being a woman ;) ) and Barney is legen- wait for it -dary. :P
But I'm not serious with that one.

I really can't decide on one TV-life I'd like to live (for more than just a while). Nobody truly has a happy ever after and they all have their troubles and problems that keep the shows interesting but also their lives pretty difficult.

Going back to what I watched as a child I think Bullerbü would be a nice place to live or with the little Lord Fauntleroy...
Bild
C_K_unlimited

Ressortleiter
Ressortleiter

Beitragvon C_K_unlimited » So 15. Jan 2012, 20:35

Sorry for the double posting...

Bild
(Quelle: http://pulsd.com/san-francisco/fashion/ ... p-flops--2)
These shoes were the subject of a conversation or two while I was at the other end of the world - or more precisely their name. While in New Zealand the "jandals" (hope the spelling is correct) were presented as totally kiwiana (typical for NZ) like the pavlova cake (although it was admitted that there's a fight with OZ about who inveted the pav) and the paoa shells. But then I came to Australia and my friend asked me if I had my "thongs" with me to go to the beach. Imagine my surprise! Why would my friend care about my underwear and why is more than one undergarment under my jeans required on the beach? As it turned out "thongs" are "jandals" or "Flip-Flops" as we call them in Germany. A few days later I spent the day with an American so I asked him how he calls these shoes. His answer: "flip flops".

In conclusion of this story in case anyone ever talks to me about "thongs" I'll ask them where they come from and then decide how I anser. :P
Bild
C_K_unlimited

Ressortleiter
Ressortleiter

Beitragvon KitKaos » Mi 18. Jan 2012, 12:15

:lol: "Thongs" can be misinterpreted quite easily... And of course, every nation remotely warm has their own version that, of course, they invented.
BTW, I was curious, as I saw them on just about every other man's feet when we went to Kerala - they are called "slippers" in Indian English.

And since we're on the subject of different varieties of English (one of my favorite topics, yay!) - my favorite phrase in Hinglish so far is "What say?". It's short and it's easily understood. No clunky phrasebuilding, but getting right to the point. :D
I even asked an American friend (who is a linguist) if that was actually used anywhere in the States, and it's always "What do you say (to that)?" - granted, its almost as short, especially if you have the lovely "whaddaya" in there. :)

But, honestly, looking at other, often underrated varieties of English has given me a new appreciation for the language as a living, dynamic organism that it is.

KitKaos

Zurück zu Foren-Übersicht

Zurück zu International Corner